After the Disengagement was finally over, the IDF and Prime Minister's office gave "grand" accounts of the total number of IDF soliders who refused orders. Over and over again the media drummed into our heads, "a total of 63 soldiers refused to participate in the 'Disengagement'" -- it wasn't that big a deal....only 63.
For the life of me, I could not understand these numbers at all. I know lots of soldiers who had refused, and wondered how it could all add up to 63. Arutz Sheva's weekend newspaper, B'Sheva did an in-depth report on the subject, and found out the following amazing information that Sharon and the IDF would rather you didn't know.
50% of the Golani infantry brigade refused to participate
25% of the Tzanchanim/Paratrooper brigade refused
20% of the Givati infantry brigade refused
10's of percentages of officer's course training cadets refused
The entire Nachal Chareidi battalion wasn't even asked by the IDF, as they said, "if you require us to participate in the expulsion, you will find an entire battalion that will also need to be expelled."
Bottom line; close to 6000 soldiers refused to take part, in any matter, shape or form with Sharon's Disengagement plan.
Who did participate?
- IAF pilots were told they had to participate; refusal would mean immediate suspension and no aviation job in the commercial industry (can’t be an ELAL pilot, if you were thrown out of the IAF).
- Career soldiers; These soldiers have been in the IDF 10 or more years, with families and mortgages, and refusal would mean immediate discharge from the IDF, loss of pension and severance pay.
- Police: (same as above).
Granted, I'm sure there were a good 20% that enjoyed throwing Jews out of their homes, which probably translates into the same 20% of Israeli Jews that specifically eat chametz on Pesach.
The big question is: This Yom Kippur, do I have to forgive every Jew, for their wrongdoings?
- The policeman who tried to beat me up for legally attempting to enter Gush Katif with real certification
- The policemen/women who wore black uniforms and carried riot gear to put fear into the hearts of the Jewish settlers; men, women and children
- The IDF female soldiers who sunbathed topless in Gaza settlements, while Jews were being evicted from their homes
- The IDF soldiers who stole possessions from the settler's homes they evacuated
- The movers that stole possessions from the homes of the refugees
- The Jewish thieves that stole communal property from the settlements (trees, air conditioners, water purification systems, ...)
- All the brutality of the IDF soldiers and police that put people in the hospital (more pics here)
- The Prime Minister and his family, which even today refuses to apologize in the spirit of Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur that they MAY have wrongfully caused any wrongdoings.
- The MK's who voted in favor of the Disengagement just to keep their seats, jobs, get promotions, and find favor in Sharon's eyes
- Lastly, Yonatan Bassi's Expulsion Authority, which to this day, continues to hound and harass the Gush Katif refugees, without providing any real solutions; housing and vocation/income.
I guess we should ask for the entire Jewish people, including the above to be inscribed in the Book of Life, so that those who committed the above atrocities can be tried and punished by the Jewish people, and can live out their jail sentences, ad meah v'esrim -- till they reach 120, behind bars.