Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Happy RumpleNacht, Mimouna and Isru Chag.

One of my ingrained teenage memories from Post-Pesach was "RumpleNacht" (pronounced, Roomple-Nacht) -- the night pesach was over we had to return the house back to the wonderful state of "chametzhood." The "rumpling" was the wrapping of dishes and glasses in newspaper, putting them in boxes, and hauling them all to the basement or attic.

Granted, as a teenager, I despised the "rumpling" and shlepping part of the night and I tried to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Thankfully, us local teenagers had the important RumpleNacht tradition of flying out the door (having put the dishes away) and driving to "Jan's" ice cream parlor. The only thing kosher as Jan's was the ice-cream, and it was a great way to hang out till 1 AM with friends on motzei chag.

Tonight, after the kids helped put everything away they insisted on pizza, and I drove them to buy some. They waited an hour for a pizza pie, and insisted it was worth it. Glad they had their fun...I'm still reminiscing over Jan's.

The sad thing is that the person I learned the "RumpleNacht" word from used to be a very close friend...(after all, we went to Jan's ice-cream on RumpleNacht)...this person even lives in Israel now (Beit Shemesh if I'm not mistaken)...yet we haven't been in touch in at least 10 years.

Well...the kids and I tried writing a RumpleNacht rap song while cleaning up, but it just didn't have any oomph to it. Maybe next year.

In any event - Happy RumpleNacht! Merry Mimouna! And a Joyous, Leavened Isru-chag.




Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny.Great reminiscing.
The question is what kind of chametz do you want right after Pesach.iWOULD GO OUT AND BUY THOSE DELICIOUS,SO FATTENING ,Entemann's chocolate doughnuts for the family-and we would 'fress.'

tafka PP said...

And here was me packing away with no idea that such a term existed...

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Daat Y: PLEASE don't get me started on Entenmann's donuts! I think if I would sum up all of what I miss about America it would be:

1. Entenmanns
2. Sundays
3. Good Radio
4. Democracy

Thats it...Now I can go back to enjoying Isru chag.

Parrot: Youre still "Yotzei" the mitzva of RumpleNacht even if you didn't know what it was called, as long as you had the proper kavana.

Mike: Doesn't matter what you call it, since you'll be getting Entenmanns soon enough :)
Have a safe trip, and come home safely soon...

Jerusalemcop said...

Happy Rumplenact!!!

We use to hang out at teh kosher dunkin donuts in Detroit after pessach. We usually had to wait as long as you did last night for the pizza.

...and it was worth the wait, donuts were great after 8 days of pessach.

This year, I didn't eat any chametz until this morning and it was just a roll, but, a fresh role can be tasty too.

J.

Anonymous said...

When the box holding all the glass kiddush cups falls as it is being put away, do we change the name from RumpleNacht to CrystalNacht (and do we tell the wife that the box fell if she hadn't noticed and wait till someone else takes it down next year)?

Anonymous said...

anonymous:funny!
Jameel;How ABOUT THE CRUMB DONUTS?The round crumb cake-just teasing.
Remember the'kitchen sink ice cream 'at 'Jans.'It was so large we would walk around offering more ice cream to all the patrons.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Daaty: Wow...You just brought back a great memory -- thanks! Talk about latent memory recall;

I haven't though of the "kitchen sink" in at least 20+ years.

(And stop with the Entenemann's already! :)

Anonymous said...

One last? comment.I go back as far as Stuhmer's donuts-the best.

JJ said...

Jameel, I love your "what I miss list"- I, too, long for every item! Darn it, now I've got visions of Entenmann's dancing in my head and they won't go away! Aargh! The donuts! The chocolate cake with the creme filling! The cupcakes decorated according to the current holiday! Any of their cheese-filled stuff...

Phillip Minden said...

Of course, Rumpelnacht, var. Rümpelnacht. This is Western Yiddish, and goes with the 'chometzdike Borchu' and a beer for Havdole. (In general, Western Ashkenazim don't allow themselves to use beer, coffee etc. for kiddesh, even in the morning, or havdole, if there's wine available. Whiskey for kiddesh is one of those chareidi laxnesses again.)

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Lipman: We would never use anything but wine...even for havdala. Our only "kula" is an occasional whiskey for kiddush (but only in rare circumstances, like a kiddush in shul).

RR: Arg! We'll have to do something about the lack of Entenmanns in Israel. Maybe we can get Meatland to think of importing some ;-)

Jack Steiner said...

Entenmanns- think that I just might pick some up tomorrow. ;)

Phillip Minden said...

Then again, you have excellent (post-5750/1990) local wine, as had French and German Jews.

The famous sun-spoilt vineyards of Lithuania and New York might have influenced the minneg...

Phillip Minden said...

The truth is, using whiskey is not such a kula. The kula is if you use a shot glass, instead of a proper revi'is.

No, the kulle is using whiskey. Shot glass instead of a revies is an eveire. (I'm afraid I'm serious.)

Erica said...

Wait a second ... Jan's "Ye of the Scrumdiddlyumptious Kitchen Sink" on Avenue U in Brooklyn? Where I had my 11th birthday party and junior high school graduation party? Was I friends with you?

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Erica: Thats pretty funny. If I wasn't running to work now, I would write how I was a kid at your 11th birthday party -- but alas, have no time to write such a creative story now :)

There are Jan ice cream places around the US :)

the sabra said...

aha! i was pullin my hair out in curiousity and frustration, tryin to figure out what RumpleNacht meant!

(no rumplenacht for me-the second havdallah is over, us kids run to the chometz kitchen to stuff our brains out on chometz food that we don't even eat a whole year and my mum is up all night in the pesach kitchen...)

Kamagra said...

I like to read this blogs because we are knowing another cultures, for is important to know another cultures because i study history and i have to do a lot of works in the university.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails