Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bar Refaeli Busted for Smuggling iPad into Israel

Israel's top model "Bar Refaeli" was caught yesterday (Wednesday) trying to illegally smuggle an iPad into Israel via the "Green, nothing to declare" tax-free line at Ben-Gurion Airport. (Walla)

She was fined 650 NIS for her smuggling attempt. Had she obeyed the law and declared the iPad on the "Red Line", she would have only had to pay 16.5% of the $500 price tag (about 320 NIS) for the popular Apple gadget.

Refaeli has generated quite a bit of commotion in Israel over the years, ranging from getting married to a family friend for a few days to avoid IDF service, to dating non-MOT American actor Leonardo DiCaprio.

I guess it's a slippery slope from dating outside the fold to ending up smuggling electronic devices.

Visiting Israel?Learn to Shoot at Caliber-3 with top Israeli Anti-Terror Experts!

Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael טובה הארץ מאד מאד

9 comments:

jonathan becker said...

i don't understand how this happened. i mean, if you were a customs officer, wouldn't you just let bar raphaeli pass on by without a perfectly legal (and entertaining) inspection by your bad self?

Paul said...

How do they know? I've never gotten a glance from a customs officer when walking through the green door.

Rabbi Michael Tzadok said...

I thought that customs was confiscating all of the IPads coming into the country. That's what Maariv has been reporting.

Neshama said...

I'm so glad this happened because no one has answered my question if an iPad is considered a "second computer" when one already has one? JA said they didn't think so, but no definite "no".
When IY"H we arrive in Israel I will have to declare my iMac and my IY"H iPad AT THE AIRPORT.

Anonymous said...

I have a 2 year old 24" iMac that I thought about bringing back to Israel when I return summer. The model is not being sold by Apple anymore. Anyone here know if Mechez will try to shake me down if I go through the Green line with it ?

jonathan becker said...

where did you get the photo? considering that she seems to be wearing a t-shirt it's more clothing than i've ever seen her in. also, has anyone else noticed her eerie resemblance here to leo dicaprio?

Rabbi Michael Tzadok said...

here are the news links to the ipad being banned in Israel
http://www.thedigitalnewsroom.com/en/News/2778/Apple_iPad_banned_in_Israel.htm

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/why-has-israel-banned-the-ipad-1.284264

http://gizmodo.com/5518002/ipad-imports-banned-in-israel

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

mekubal: I was the first blogger to mention that the iPad was banned in Israel :-)

http://muqata.blogspot.com/2010/04/ipad-banned-from-israel.html

However, since then, the iPad is no longer banned...yet it is taxed.

Jonathan: do you know how long it took to find a presentable photo of her?!

ellencowhey@gmail.com said...

jonathan becker, are you the jonathan from west virginia?

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails