Sunday, September 03, 2006

Very. Disturbing. Video.

Amshinover sent this me last week. It's entitled "Coming to Europe (or America?) It's very disturbing...



On second thought, the first thing thing I thought of after seeing this was, how do people view "Brit Milla" -- circumcision.

Is this the same thing? What's the difference?

Yes, I know the difference, but the comparison still lurks somewhere in the background.

Regardless - this is one disturbing video. (I can always count on Amshi to dredge up the weirdest stuff...

Update: How fascinating. "Youtube" actually rejected the video based on copyright validation...so I searched for it, and found that it was posted over 5 months ago. (Amshi, you have GOT to be more up to date when you send me stuff....) So I enclosed the link to the originally posted video...


Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

7 comments:

kasamba said...

OMG how disturbing!!!!
I understand what you're saying about Bris Mila- but they do that AND this head slicing thing!

Also a large portion of the secular world views circumcision as a preventive medical procedure.

Now, I would think Kaparos with chickens would look really good on video.

smb said...

Head slicing, that's beyond gross. Couldn't watch the whole thing.

Scraps said...

Oh my gosh, that totally gave me the creeps.... [shudders]

Chana said...

Leviticus 19:28

כח וְשֶׂרֶט לָנֶפֶשׁ, לֹא תִתְּנוּ בִּבְשַׂרְכֶם, וּכְתֹבֶת קַעֲקַע, לֹא תִתְּנוּ בָּכֶם: אֲנִי, יְהוָה. 28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor imprint any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

That's really all I can think about.

The back of the hill said...

Reminds me of that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the penitent monks.

Heeyay yaysu dominay (whap - hits own head with a board), donna es in requiem (whap - hits head again).

The principle, if I understand it correctly, is the same as that of penitents in Catholicism (think of Opus Dei) - mental pain in sympathetic suffering is sharpened by physical pain.

Whap.

projgen said...

The difference is one slice and the Brit is done. The mohel does not continually whack at a penis with a blade. The intention of the Brit is not to draw blood, but to remove the foreskin. Blood is incidental to the act. This looks like the sole intention is to stir everyone into a bloodlust. Disturbing and creepy.

Milhouse said...

The principle, if I understand it correctly, is the same as that of penitents in Catholicism (think of Opus Dei) - mental pain in sympathetic suffering is sharpened by physical pain.

Jews used to do this too – we called it sigufim. Chasidei Ashkenaz were into it, as were the pre-Baal-Shem-Tov mekubalim and perushim of Eastern Europe. Not head-slashing, but gilgul sheleg, etc. It was mostly the Baal Shem Tov who put an end to this derech, deeming it not appropriate for modern generations.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails