If Motti Elon's claims are to be believed, then they directly imply the following:
- The members of the Takana committee that has been handling his case -- which include such diverse and distinguished individuals as R. Yaakov Ariel, R. Aharon Lichtenstein, R. Avi Gisser, Rabbanit Yehudit Shilat, R. Elyakim Levanon, R. Yuval Cherlow, and Prof. Yedidya Stern -- are all involved in a giant malicious conspiracy to "blackmail" Elon (his words).
- Because of nothing more than a lone, unsubstantiated allegation from one single "seriously disturbed" individual, Elon agreed to resign as Rosh Yeshiva of Yeshivat HaKotel, abandon all rabbinic duties, withdraw from public life, move out of Jerusalem, and
gowent into self-imposed "exile" in a yishuv up north.
The great irony here is that while Elon would have us believe that the members of Takana are engaged in a giant conspiracy to destroy him, the truth seems to be the exact opposite: The members of Takana engaged in a giant conspiracy to protect him. Rather than go public with the information they had four years ago, Takana foolishly opted to keep the truth a secret, so as not to air the dati leumi community's dirty laundry in public. To that end, they made a "deal" with Elon, in which they promised to keep things under wraps, in exchange for Elon
By engaging in this sort of
Not at all surprsingly, other victims are now starting to come out with their stories:
New harassment claims against Rabbi Elon
As someone who closely followed the Baruch Lanner scandal for two decades, I find this entire scandal nauseatingly familiar:
- The shameful cover-up to protect the sexual predator and the community.
- The inevitable recidivism of the predator.
- The publicization of the facts only after the cancer has metasasized into something too outrageous to ignore.
- The victims who finally find the courage to speak up only after (and because) the scandal has become public knowledge.
- The cruel demonization of the predator's hapless victims.
- The crowds of blind groupies living in group denial, ready to defend the predator regardless of the facts or the cost for future victims.
The members of Takana thought that if they tried to handle the problem "quietly", then it would just "go away". This, in spite of the fact that this irresponsible approach has never worked, and has proven itself a tragic failure repeatedly. The end is always the same. The Takana members bear no less guilt than Elon himself.
It's like reliving the same awful horror movie over and over again.
Going to Israel?
Now get 2 phones for the price of 1 (and free calls too) with Talk'n'Save.
Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael טובה הארץ מאד מאד