Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Shul on the Hilltop

Not far from the Muqata headquarters in the hills of the Shomron, is the hilltop community of El-Matan. A narrow road snakes along the mountainside, bringing you to El Matan.


Since the new synagogue/shul was erected just before Sukkot this year, I have made it my practice to pray there every morning.
The shul is modest, yet has alot character, combined with breathtaking views.


Here's the view from the shul, facing West. On this day, it was hazy.

I came back the following day with my telephoto lens...and it was clearer outside. Tel-Aviv clearly comes into view

While my camera was using a 300mm zoom lens (with no tripod), Tel Aviv is clear to see.

I wonder if the soldier on patrol in El-Matan is gaurding El-Matan, or Tel Aviv's Azrilli towers.



Unfortuantely, Peace Now doesn't appreciate hilltop communities with synagogues. For years, the community of El-Matan (founded at the behest of Ariel Sharon, who called on Jews to build the hilltops) has tried to get the needed signature from the Defense Minister to "legalize" it.

While Arabs freely build (without permits) throughout Areas B & C in the Shomron, El-Matan is not entitled to have a shul, and Ehud Barak demanded it be sealed or destroyed. This past Friday, the shul was sealed by the residents.

"This Sysogoge has been sealed without justification, rather due to the political interests of the Defense Minister [Ehud Barak]"


Till we can resume our prayers in the shul, a large US army tent was erected next door. (seems to be Iraq surplus -- Thanks USA!)


Its depressing to pray in the tent, when our shul sits next door, sadly sealed up. Hopefully, we'll be able to resume our prayers there in the coming months...









Visiting Israel?
Learn to Shoot at
Caliber-3 with top Israeli Anti-Terror Experts!


Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael טובה הארץ מאד מאד

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My apologies, but " new Jews" like Barak don't need Shuls.
Nevertheless, vermin like Adam shapiro, dovbear, and Oppenheimer are getting tingles down their leg from barracks action.

Anonymous said...

Btw, yeshar coach to you. I am in town visiting my middle child. I suppose I sold out 30 years ago and lost my Hebrew fluency and never came to stay because of my handicapped bachor. unfortunately I felt small after visiting Henron and seeing that Rav Simcha's boy is more affected than mine.
dr. a

Student V said...

Oh. I am wondering why he chose the name Jameel.

May All the heroes of the Irgun be blessed. said...

That's what I've been wondering and trying to find out. Glad to see I'm not the only one... It's not in the Muqata reading for newbies listed on the side panel where an introductory run-down is given to the site's background. Has it been discussed before somewhere here?

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering too for the past 5.5 years... -Jameela

JoeSettler said...

I'm writing a post about it.

PP said...

Before Mr J. Settler provides you with his version, I'll step in- Jameel's original (very angry, disengagement-era) tagline was something like "if you want to keep your house, convert to Islam. The Government won't transfer Arabs, only Jews" and that's why he took on an Arab name. To be funny, or ironic, or... something. I took it as a cry to make Leftist friends :-)

JoeSettler said...

Actually, one of the earliest tag lines I remember was:

"The ongoing struggle to liberate the Muqata...from the tyranny of the Post Zionists."

There may have been an earlier tagline, but that's not the actual origin of the name at all.

PP said...

Joe- ask him, I think "yours" came after "mine". Not that this matters right now :-(

JoeSettler said...

pp: I don't know if we're going to post it "for security reasons", but if Jameel give the OK, I'll send you the draft from WikiMuqata.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails