Sunday, February 05, 2006

Amona – Next Steps.

Friday Morning, 9:15 AM – Ra’anana. Not wanting to get into a rut and become a one-issue blog, I need to come to some sort of closure on this issue, so I can move to on other blog-worthy topics…lets hope I succeed with this posting. (And now, Sunday morning, I’m rereading this and realize this issue isn’t going away so quickly…but I still have many other topics of interest to blog about)

I’m currently sitting in a dental office in Ra’anana as my son is getting some dental work done – so I’m banging away at my laptop. My son was rather scared of this particular treatment, and even though I told him that it would barely hurt, he doesn’t really believe me. We agreed that if it does in fact hurt, he gets to choose my next blog topic -- he told me he enjoyed reading about himself in my blog last week. I hope he doesn’t choose something embarrassing…actually, I hope it doesn’t hurt him at all, so he doesn’t have chose a topic. He’s lying in the chair, with dental equipment all over is mouth, and he’s listening to songs via his brand new Bar Mitzva present iPod..

Having no clue what I’m typing about, or that I’m Jameel, or even why I’m typing in the first place, the dentist is talking to me while he works on my son’s teeth. After a bit of Jewish Geography, (and I’m not making this up, since it sounds too crazy to be true), he just brought up the topic of Amona. Here I am, trying to blog about Amona, and my son’s dentist brings up the subject. I just keep talking and typing, and thankfully, my son deosn’t seem too traumatized by this procedure.

Actually, I’m happy the dentists did bring it up, since it demonstrates to me that people are thinking about Amona (without needing any prompting from me). I get the feeling he’s not really pro-Amona settlement, but he was outraged by the actions of the police…and that’s a good thing.

Of all the comments posted, I was bothered most by the growing divide between our people. If we no longer have any nationhood glue binding us so that we can say together, “We Are One”, I’m very worried for our future. The pictures and videos need to shock and outrage everyone to the point that we all take a step back, instead of it hardening everyone’s position. This evening in my yishuv, there’s going to be an open round table discussion between adults and teenagers about where we go from here. I know the teenagers will have lots to say, and their number one complaint will probably be, (as it was this summer), where are the adults? Where is the leadership? How is a group of a few thousand teenagers supposed to defend Amona from 5000 policemen, who don’t have a problem smashing their heads with batons and trampeling them with horses?

There are also many different types of people demonstrating at Amona. You had some, like Elchonon, who don’t have a problem of using violence against policemen who are violent against you. There are many, many others, who I am convinced are the majority who can’t bring themselves to do anything violent, and they sat on the floors of buildings slated for destruction – and they still got bashed over the head and brutally removed from the homes…many to the point requiring hospitalization.

Fast Forward to Sunday morning

There’s a big demonstration scheduled tonight (Sunday) at 18:30 at Kikar Zion, Jerusalem against last week’s brutal violence by the police. I’ll be there.

Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

16 comments:

JoeSettler said...

Sacket's great. Nice guy too.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

elchonon: If you haven't received a tetanus shot recently (past 3 years) its probably best for you to go to your kupat cholim and ask a doctor about a shot.

Barbed/Razor wire outdoors that has cut through your skin is definitely a reason for a shot.

Ask your local doctor. Refuah Shelayma.

BTW: If you were in a room sitting on the floor getting smashed by a policeman instead of going after one to begin with, it would be alot easier to present your case to your world. (Not that anyone should have gotten hurt)

Throwing rocks at the cops isn't a good thing; religiously or tactically.

Anonymous said...

watching on tv from exile, I couldn't help but notice the large number of children out there in amona doing the fighting whilst the parents were clearly somewhere else.

This reminded me a lot about the terrorists who fire their guns at funerals in gaza, but are nowhere to be seen when their kids are throwing rocks at soldiers.

Why send kids to do the dirty work?
zsta

Anonymous said...

oh, yeah.. and eitam was lying...
he was hit by a rock thrown by a settler kid.

Anonymous said...

To anonymous,

Why send your kids to the army? or don't you?

Anonymous said...

The reason that kids were there was that, from the protestor's view, this was a protest, rather than a violent demonstration.
I somehow missed all the pictures of policemen with blood pouring down their faces.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

A: And so what do you see as a solution? Blogging helps a little I hope...

tafka PP said...

Blogging rocks. Hope you're having "fun" at the demonstration: I escaped town as it begin to orangify...

Anonymous said...

Jameel, the gulf betwen different segments of the population is inevitable. The GRA warned us that in the generation before Mashiach there would be a civil war between the Torah Jews and the Erev Rav. One of the signs of the Erev Rav is that they want to give Jewish land to Goyim. Check out Sefer Kol HaTor

Anonymous said...

there were elderly people there and they were badly beaten, do you justify that too, zsta?

Anonymous said...

I didn't justify anyone getting beaten.. where did you get that from? I questioned where the adults where, when their children were getting beaten.

I don't send kids to the army without going myself... also the "kids" who go to the army are 18 and adults. that wasn;t a very smart comment of yours levi.

also levi if you missed the pictures of wounded cops then you are wearing very orange-tinted spectacles...
if you can;t debate intelligently, don't bother.
zsta

Anonymous said...

as for kahane loyalist who has clearly read the new book for fools called the eirev rav (subtitle: how to justify hatred for anyone who disagrees with your right-wing extremist views), then all I can say is that Hillel and Shamai are turning in their graves.
zsta

Anonymous said...

the so-called wounded cops in reality walked off mostly with scratches and faked their injuries, there's a very telling video of that here

http://www.zshare.net/video/hospitalvideo2a-wmv.html

Anonymous said...

The Sefer i learned is called Kol HaTor and it was written by the Vilna Gaon Rav Eliyahu Kramer and the whole Sefer is about the time right before Mashiach, mostly about the Erev Rav.
heres a sample
"in the generation before mashiach the Sitra Achra will arise with great strength and gathe onto itself teh Erev rav who shall rule Benei Yisrael and the Goyim and they will combine together to force benei Yisrael to perform one Avera, to abandon parts of Eretz Yisrael and if they succeed in this, mashiach's coming will be greatly delayed and I fear for this time."

anonymous, I dont understand why it is that Am Haaratzim always use Beis Shammai and Beis Hillel to justify going against the Torah. They argued points of Halacha. You dont have a single source to justify your opinion.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Elchonon: Listen brother; to the bystanders here on my blog, I must admit, you come off a bit...radically violent? Now I'm more than happy to hear otherwise, but people here are just evaluating you based on your comments.

More importantly: Go get a tetanus shot!

Anonymous said...

kahane loyalist

all sources can be screwed around with to back up any opinion you want them to be.

But basic morality suggests that you shouldn't hate those who have a different opinion. Bet Hillel are justly famous for having respect for others opinions. I don;t care if this is a halachic stance or not... it is a moral and social-ethic stance. You should try adopting it.
zsta

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails