Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Is that a Pizza in your ATM, or are you just happy to see me?

While the J-Blogosphere may be experiencing a thoughtful pause or temporary slowdown as noted by Jack, MCA, Shifra, Mirty and many others...the Israeli high tech establishment is hard at work dreaming up the latest and greatest technologies.

From the country that brought the world, ICQ and Firewalls...Israeli technologists continue to dazzle the world. Today's latest invention is:

The Pizza ATM.

Photo Courtesy of YNET, Yariv Katz.

When getting a pizza 24x7 is your top priority, and your local pizza haunt is closed...what do you do?

Microwave pizza just doesn't do it.

You don't want to be "bisari/felishiks" at 7 AM, so nuke-a-burgers are out as well. (Back in college, I wrote a song, "Waking up fleishiks in the morning...")

Israeli Scientists have solved all your problems -- and the Pizza ATM is the latest and greatest invention out of the Holy Land.

The first pizza vending machine was installed last week in the Visa-CAL building in Givatayim, near Tel Aviv. The cost of a machine pizza is about 30 percent lower than a store-bought equivalent.

Once the transaction is approved, the machine springs into action. The pizza drops to a heating element inside the machine; some three minutes later, out it comes, piping hot and all boxed up, "just like from the shop."

There are about 25,000 vending machines in Israel, selling everything from French fries to alcoholic cocktails to more traditional candy bars and soft drinks an average of one machine for every 200 Israelis.

With the advent of the pizza ATM, I'm sure we can expect many other ATM's in the future:

Challah for Shabbat ATM
Chulent ATM
Chicken Soup ATM
Chinese Food ATM
Fast Foot ATM (hotdogs, burgers and fries)

The possibilities are endless...

And of course, the Muqata is also hard at work dreaming up more excitement for the JBlogosphere...DovBear's "Hall of Fame" awards and the JIBs are nothing compared to what we're working on.

Blogger Reality Checklist:

Met Ifyouwillit near work.
Met Steg for lunch @ work.



Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

20 comments:

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Yeah - but they aren't integrated into one big fast food atm.

Watch the ketchup drool out of the change dispenser...

Jack Steiner said...

A Pizza ATM. I kind of like it.

Ezzie said...

Are they kosher? And how are they?

ifyouwillit... said...

"Waking up fleishiks in the morning..." Sounds like my idea of heaven.

Was great to meet you close to work, I should probably be paying attention rather than checking out the blogs. Thanks for the mention, it's an honour.

Anonymous said...

We really are a light unto the nations!

Oh, and I haven't really slowed down my blogging that much, I'm just waiting for my pizza.

chardal said...

It's actually impossible to wake up phleishig in the morning. Most poskim say that if you go to sleep pheliship, you wake up parve even if 6 hours (or 3 if you are a yekke or 1 if you are dutch) have not passed.

Jack Steiner said...

Are they kosher?

Ezzie,

They have one mashgiach who handles all of the ATMs. He is a former jockey, which is very important because as you can imagine you have to be very small to fit inside one of those ATMs.

Shifra said...

Wow, I could go for a ATM pizza right now!

I liked your song title a lot - do you remember the rest of the lyrics?

Maybe we could start a "Blogband"!

Post-Denom Jew said...

Chollent ATM sounds gross, but I would like a Gefilte fish ATM...and as Jack's Shack asked "Are they kosher?"

MUST Gum Addict said...

Who said anything about the J-Blogosphere slowing down? People OBVIOUSLY aren't reading enough of my blogs...

The Pizza ATM would be perfect just outside the yeshiva dorms. Although you realize that this cuts into a core life segment -- teenage junkies who work at fast food restaurants will soon need to find other modes of work. Suddenly, the phrase "do you want fries with that" doesn't seem anywhere exciting.

Also, the classic prank of ordering 20 pies of pizza and having it sent to an unexpecting friend will have to be retired.

FrumGirl said...

That is just too cool. When will we catch up in the USA.

Irina Tsukerman said...

The Muqata ATM???

Sarah Likes Green said...

wow, i guess they can put anything in vending machines these days! if anyone tastes it, let us know what it's like!

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Chardal: I never knew that. However, you just killed my entire song which I worked so hard on in 1988. I even played it myself on the guitar...Oh well.

Ezzie: I assume they are kosher, but I'll try to find out.

Mirty: We have home pizza delivery at the Muqata...Now if only we had the Pizza ATM, life would be perfect.

Sushi Kiddush: Chulent ATM sounds gross? And your suggestion of a Gefilta Fish ATM sounds better? I can just imagine that Gefilta Fish jelly gurlging out of the ATM... thats enough to churn any stomach.

Irina: What would be dispensed at the Muqata ATM? Jokes?

Must Gum: Well, its my fault you aren't on my blogroll. I will fix that momentarily. Yes, pizza ATM's outside of yeshiva dorms sounds like a great idea. We'll look back at this era, the same way we look back at Yeshivas and payphones before everyone had a cellphone.

Shifra: I will try to hypnotize myself and go back into the dark recesses of my mind to retrieve the lyrics. There is some danger involved, as who knows what happens when you hypnotize yourself...and attempting to dig up old memories always has the possibility of remembering weird events (which would have to be blogged about, for the sake of science).

It had a sort of twangy, slow tune, since it was a morning song...and getting up in the AM at college was slooow.

I'll report back on what I come up with.

And count me in on the blogband! (though after you see the lyrics and hear the song, you may change your mind)

Sarah: I'll see if any of the Tel-Aviv bloggers have the chance to try it out.

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

I should be meeting people in Tel Aviv on Thursday night. Where's this thing again?

Jerusalemcop said...

I'll have to check it out next time i'm in Givatayim.

J.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Steg: You can check out if it has a Teuda on it or not -- its in the Visa-CAL building in Givatayim.

Let us know!

the sabra said...

mike- the french fries are mad tasty! you wanna take this outside??

Rafi G. said...

I like the French Fries ATM. I think they are good, though you have to add the salt from the little packet they give you..)

Kamagra said...

I cannot believe this, but i think that could be a very good idea because i love pizza and this is a very fast way to get one.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails