Thursday, May 11, 2006

Let the Blogger Go.

Israel is not a stranger to Egyptian Democracy -- as Israeli citizen Azzam Azzam languished in an Egyptian prison for years on trumped up charges of spying for Israel.

Taking a cue from the way the Chinese treat Falun Gong, the Egyptian government has detained a blogger who's ideas were slightly different than theirs. Detained, as in imprisoned.
Granted, this story is going around the Blogosphere, but I was personally requested to post on this story (as I think everyone should)....so take a second to read it.

AbbaGav wrote an excellent piece on this issue (Freedom of Speech Starts with Freeing the Speaker).
Please take a moment to read a little more about Alaa and his situation at Lisa's blog, On The Face, and at Yael's site, Step by Step. And if you have your own blog or website, adding a link to the Free Alaa! blog using the word Egypt in the linking text will help let anyone searching for important information about Egypt find out about Alaa first. Egyptian blogger Sandmonkey also has information on how to write letters or emails to US, Canadian, or Egyptian authorities on Alaa's behalf.

Now, just as an additional message; There are those out there who would say to me, why am I wasting my time helping an Egyptian blogger...aren't there many other more important causes for me to worry about?
My answer is:
  1. He's pro-Israel, and not out to kill me.
  2. Freedom of Speech should be important to everyone (and it should be an issue common to all bloggers)
  3. Having personally been affected by limitations of Freedom of Speech, in Israel, I'm much more sensitive to the issue.

Think about it. You're Tagged.

Technorati tag:

Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

5 comments:

AbbaGav said...

Great points. Thanks for picking up the ball and running with it.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

And Kol HaKavod for picking it up in the first place!

tafka PP said...

Good man, Jameel.

Anonymous said...

What exactley will the egyptian blogger be punished with if he is convicted?

The back of the hill said...

Jameel, I've mentioned it in a posting.
See here:
http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2006/05/free-alaa-ahmed-seif-al-islam.html

Regards,

B.O.T.H.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails