Sunday, May 07, 2006

More on Jerusalem vs. US State Dept.

Following up on my previous posting about registering American's born in Jerusalem, ISRAEL, apparently we'll have our day in court. And since it's an American court, there may be a chance for justice.

Menachem Binyamin Zivotofsky of Jerusalem, just 3 years old, emerged victorious last week in his battle with the U.S. administration - a small and perhaps temporary victory, but sweet nevertheless. The U.S. Court of Appeals upheld his arguments and decided to send his case back to the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, so that "both sides may develop a more complete record relating to these and other subjects of dispute." The two parties are the child (and his parents, Ari and Naomi) and U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Read the rest of it here.

Zivitofsky Family: Give 'em hell!

hat-tip: Shtender

Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

4 comments:

I'm Haaretz, Ph.D. said...

Hmmm, when I renewed my passport I did it in East Jerusalem, not Tel Aviv. My visit to the consulate was a real ordeal... it was actually terrifying. I was the only Jew for miles--not even a soldier in site. I was scared to hang out alone while waiting for the paperwork to go through, and for some insane reason I thought I'd be safer outside the consulate! I crossed the street to an old hotel, from British Mandate time, and wanted to sit in the lobby. I felt like I was in a movie-- wicker furniture, elegant palms and fountains, very little light-just slats of sun cracking through dark panels, antique cars parked out front... and a superbly dressed Arab concierge who spoke an impeccable British English and showed more contempt for me than I'd ever felt from anyone before. One exchange with him and I was running back to the consulate.

As wrong as it is ideologically, I like having Jerusalem imprinted in my passport. It feels biblical (in the ancient sense).

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

I'm Haaretz: As wrong as it is ideologically, I like having Jerusalem imprinted in my passport. It feels biblical (in the ancient sense).

You mean that you want it to say Jerusalem instead of Tel-Aviv?

That's fine -- nothing wrong about the ideologically at all. Its just it would be better if it said, "Jerusalem, ISRAEL" (which is what the court case is all about)

Scraps said...

V'imru: Amein.

Rebecca said...

The last time I lived in Israel, I lost my American passport, and thus had to go to the East Jerusalem consulate to get a new one (a completely unpleasant experience, as the first commenter noted). When I finally got the new passport, I noticed that under the line about where the passport was issued, it said, "Jerusalem,." Just that - Jerusalem, comma.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails