Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Accusing Shoes, Empty Shoes


"In the memory of the victims shot into the Danube by Arrow Cross Militiamen 1944-45"

Reading the text on this memorial plaque, one would think the text was written by AP. Perhaps the English was difficult to translate from the Hungarian, so I'll translate it for you now.

This plaque stands on the bank of the Danube river in Budapest, where the Nazis shot thousands and thousands of Jews, tossing them into the river over the course of 2 years during the Holocaust.

As a memorial, dozens of pairs of shoes have been positioned along the bank -- where Jews of all ages were shot dead at that very location.

I stood there last night.


I've driven past locations in Israel where Jews have been killed by terror attacks. I've been to battlefields in Israel where IDF soldiers lost their lives defending our country. I'd never been before at the site where thousands of Jews were murdered.

The bank of the Danube river is very peaceful at night. It's very quiet and the lights of the bridges and castles gently illuminate the backdrop of the shoe memorial.

Over and over I've heard tour guides say the past few days, "everyone knew the Holocaust was coming...but people stayed...the anti semitism was apparent for years...it wasn't a surprise."

I stare at this pair of a toddler's shoes.


How many children were shot, murdered, and thrown into this river?


The deceptive, peaceful quiet of Europe...the beauty of Hungary and Budapest, is just an illusion.

Europe is soaked in the blood of Jews.

And though today is no longer Yom HaShoah, I still hear the air-raid siren (from Israel) in my head as I look out over the Danube.

And the shoes continue to accuse.






Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

9 comments:

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Powerful. Incredibly powerful. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

Europe is soaked in the blood of Jews

That sentence alone is worth a thousand words so to speak. My grandparents in Israel never wanted to visit their homeland of Poland. They said it is one large Jewish graveyard.

I think people forget that this all happened in the past century. It is something that I STILL cannot take all in.

rabbi without a cause said...

Wow.

RWAC

Jack Steiner said...

That was...painful.

Sarabeth said...

That's why Yom HaShoah is so important -- so people don't forget.

Sarah Likes Green said...

shivers just from reading that post.

Anonymous said...

Immobilizing.

Lion of Zion said...

"Over and over I've heard tour guides say the past few days, 'everyone knew the Holocaust was coming...but people stayed...the anti semitism was apparent for years...it wasn't a surprise.'"

so this was the jews' fault? were these native tour guides?

europeans are such mamzerim.

now with that off my chest, this post left me speechless

Anonymous said...

Beautiful moving post.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails