Thursday, May 17, 2007

More Only in Israel...a picture.

From the mailbag...photo courtesy of Tzvi Harris (c) 2007.

Translation follows below


This sign is posted near the Kotel in Jerusalem's Old City,
by the Egged public bus company.

To the attention of our passengers:

When Shabbat is over, the Egged [bus] Company,
as a show of goodwill,
will provide bus transportation
for those who visted the Kotel over Shabbat.

The fare for this bus ride
should be paid for on Sunday without delay.

Wishing you a good week and safe travel,

Egged Management
Jerusalem.



Can you imagine that anywhere else? The honor system for public transportation?

Shabbat Shalom,
The Muqata





Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

8 comments:

Shifra said...

I'm sure most people are translating that sign:

Egged- Where your ride home Saturday Night is free!

Holy Hyrax said...

Its funny how you can find such extremes in Israel. The people can be the biggest jerks, looking for any sort of combinot to screw someone over or can do something like the sign shows above, which, as you bring up, would not be found somewhere else.

Annie said...

That is adorable. Nowhere else in the world...

Special Ed said...

I thought it was free!

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Sorry about that Ed...

Jacob Da Jew said...

My parents live in Malchai Yisrael area so I used to walk over to the Kotel and take a #1 back up there.

Never thought that it wasn't free.

I guess I owe Egged some back pay. Oh well.

Unknown said...

When I started telling my kids about the picture (I took it) one of them cut me off and said that the bus on motza"sh is free...
Afterwards I showed him the pic.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the entire bus system in Rome works on an honor system. You buy a ticket in advance and stamp it on a machine on the bus. As a dumb tourist, I bought a ticket and couldn't figure out why noone ever took it from me and I took many rides on the same ticket. There are inspections but these are very rare.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails