Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Questions that plague The Muqata

While we're still digesting the results of The Muqata's showings in the first round of the JIB Awards (more on that later), I would like to share the following questions plaguing the Muqata.

No, nothing about Rachel Corrie (she'll get her own post), but the following picture was sent by a reader, asking for help in deciphering this kitchen magnet she received as a gift. She thought the letters were Hebrew (though perhaps Steg, Fred, or Ari can help out)...yet they aren't any of the classic Hebrew alphabets I'm familiar with.


(I hope the magnet's secret message is nothing offensive, but have no clue what it is...)

Does anyone have a clue what a "Muslim Shower" is? No, I'm not joking!

Please, no off-color jokes...but what exactly is SaniCare UK, "a company dedicated to personal and family hygiene needs" trying to promote here?


For those of us privileged to live in Israel, we often arrive at a "shin gimmel."

The shin-gimmel gate is the entrance to a location, be it kibbutz, army base, school campus, or settlement...and the question is, what is the correct etiquette to enter? I drive through all sorts of roadblocks, and every one has it's own protocol. At some I wave "hi", at some I just drive through without stopping, and at some I'm requested to show ID (with a name like Jameel, what do you expect?)

Finally, I found a "shin gimmel" that had the appropriate sign in front of it. No, you don't need to provide documents and ID for inspection, it's much more informal...


"STOP AT THE GATE, AND SAY HI TO THE GUARD"

Two points to the first reader who can tell me where this sign is :)

Later,

Jameel







Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

16 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

don't know where the sign is but it's definitely polite to stop and say hi to those that are out there guarding the people. it's the least one could do!

if you flip the magnet around a few times, in different directions some of the shapes look like modern hebrew. but maybe the experts in languages will have more luck deciphering it!

Michael said...

Great sign there.
Just on a side note, I read it before I scrolled down to see the translation. Maybe there is hope for my Hebrew after all...

Cosmic X said...

The magnet looks like the Armenian alphabet

I think the Muslim shower has something to do with keeping the "pi hataba'at" absolutely clean before prayer.

Anonymous said...

cool blog. nothing NOT off color to say. . .

Rafi G. said...

there is such a sign at the entrance to Neve Daniel... but I am guessing you are not referring to that one...

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

RafiG: You win 2 points!

CosmicX: Thanks - I'll check that out.

Michael: Glad to hear it :)

Sarah: The reason isn't really for politeness, but to "hear" the voice of the driver, so the gaurd can evaluate how much of a threat the driver is...If they have an Israeli, American, British, Australian accent, then I don't think the gaurd will do anything by say "hi" back and smile...

Scraps said...

I like that sign. :) And I'm confused about why a bidet is called a "Muslim shower" (and isn't that politically incorrect, too?).

Jack Steiner said...

Two points to the first reader who can tell me where this sign is :)

That is the entrance to the secret Muqata waffle factory.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Jack: sigh. That was supposed to be the SECRET Muqata waffle factory.

You've given it away...now I need to relocate.

Rafi G. said...

and what do I get for my two points? where do I cash it in? and why is a certain video not on your blog yet?

Sarah Likes Green said...

rafi: the points obviously help get you in to the waffle factory.

Rafi G. said...

how many points are needed to secure entry?

Anonymous said...

Steg, Fred and Ari? What about me? Not that I know the answer, and yes, they would all probably have a better chance of knowing than me, but still...

Anonymous said...

As far as the Muslim toilet goes, check out this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_toilet_etiquette

Under Rules, look at item 14.

Lion of Zion said...

i put $20 that the magnet is armenian

(did i win?)

yitz said...

i actually think beit zayit might have a sign like that as well..

maybe my memory is playing tricks.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails