Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chareidim and the Holocaust Siren

Most Chareidim I know stand for the sirens that wail across Israel on Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Commemoration Day) and Yom HaZikaron (Israel's Memorial Day), yet every year the news goes out of its way to get video footage or picture stills of Chareidim who ignore the siren.

As explained in this video, many people think the top 3 commandments of the Chareidim are as follows:

1. Throw rocks at ambulances on Yom Kippur
2. Burn the Israeli flag on Yom Ha'atzmaut (Israel Independence Day)
3. Ignore the memorial sirens on Holocaust Commemoration Day) and Israel's Memorial Day)

Most just want to get home and be off the streets at that time...the following video has an interesting take on it. (It's in Hebrew, but easy to follow)




Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael טובה הארץ מאד מאד

3 comments:

Leora said...

Good video. Very human.

Baila said...

I found that disturbing. Did I miss something? I think both the chilonim and the chareidi guy were portrayed poorly.

BTW, I work in Kiryat Sefer. When the siren went off my [chareidi] co-worker told me (I was very engrossed in what I was doing and it wasn't very loud, besides I was told I wouldn't hear it at all). I stood, but the chareidim went about their business. Which I'm not sure how I feel about.

I was glad that they pointed it out to me, though.

Gila said...

I am finding it hard to really identify with the Haredi guy. Trying to get home before the siren? The siren at 10 in the morning? Shouldn't he be at work? Apparently he lives in a very different Israel than I do. Most of the adult Israelis I know are working at that hour.

I think there are a few other things that one could add to that three items list.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails