Monday, May 18, 2009

Google's Competition: Wolfram Alpha

Today a new search engine was launched with lots of hoopla....Wolfram Alpha (www.wolframalpha.com)

I'm not that impressed yet. I asked it:

What is the Muqata blog?

Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.

Who writes the Muqata Blog?

Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.

Who is Jameel at the Muqata?

Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.

Related inputs to try:

Food:

* nutritional information: Jameel

Animals:

* information about an animal: eel

My last question: simply, "Muqata"

It's answer: Interpreting "muqata" as "buqata"

Oh well. I'll keep checking back once in a while.



















Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael טובה הארץ מאד מאד

8 comments:

Shimon said...

On the upside it does know the answer to the universe, why the chicken crossed the road and 88mph.
It can also give you a detailed report on the nutritional value of waffles.

Rafi G. said...

it is also too hard and too long a name to remember quickly

Leora said...

I played with this yesterday. I tried "common cold." I tried "remedies common cold." I tried "what are remedies for the common cold." Nothing useful.

Jack Steiner said...

Terrible name- sounds like a law firm or something that should be tied into physics.

The Wolfram Alpha theory posits that if the weight and velocity of a waffle are equal to....

Walid said...

I even tried Wolfram's *own* suggestion: I typed in my birthday Aug 10, 1943. He correctly identified it as a Tisha B'av; but then added: Observances (Israel): No official holidays or major observances.

Gee a Moron said...

Not ready for prime time...

MAOZ said...

Leora, were you inspired to try "common cold" because of Wolfram's evident head-cold? [Why else would they interpret "muqata" as "buqata"?

"Doh, doh! Dot 'buqata'; 'buqata'!"

The back of the hill said...

At the back of the hill blogWolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.Atthebackofthehill blogWolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.Savage KittenWolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.Pipe tobaccoWolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.Dirty underwearWolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.Wolfram|Alpha is an idiotWolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.Quod erat demonstrandumLogic - Additional functionality for this topic is under development.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails