Sunday, July 22, 2007

Space junk on it's way to Israel?!


As if the threat of Iranian nuclear warheads and Palestinian terrorists aren't a big enough danger to Israel, The Russian-language webzine in Israel, "Kursor.co.il" announced today that there's a possibility that space junk from the ISS (International Space Station) will hit Israel.

Since my Russian isn't as good as my Arabic, I had to use the google language translator program, which provided the following translation from Russian:
Israel [to be] struck by space debris

This week the crew of international space station to drop 700 kilograms of open space debris. According to sources at NASA, the ISS will be withdrawn from the container with 635 kg of various waste and ceased operation of the telescope weighing 100 kg.

All the "space ship" will rotate in the orbit for 300 days, gradually approaching the earth. Then it will go down in the atmosphere, which is projected scientists, the vast majority of debris burn up. However, the container itself disintegrate into many pieces, about 17 kilograms each. These fragments and obrushatsya land.

According to the forecast of the National Space Agency of the United States, most of the world's oceans absorb waste, but may be under siege and coastal areas, including in Israel. To track the movement of debris to set up a special radar station. Revelations of them will be transferred to computers and operators sprognoziruyut been falling pieces of the container and warn of the population.

According to Israeli experts, the exact warning could be followed for 1,5-2 hours before the fall. Citizens are "problematic" areas advise home or evacuate. It is also suggested that the reinforced roof can withstand the impact and protect residents.

Remember Skylab? (Old man Jack and PsychoToddler might, but I doubt Ezzie will have ever heard of it)



That was also a summer scare.

Coincidence? I think not.


Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

14 comments:

the only way i know said...

scary..

Toto said...

I've been worried about falling sprognoziruyut for years!!! I thought I got away from it by moving away from Florida!!! ugh. :)

Jack Steiner said...

Jameel,

You do realize that you and PT are much older than I am. While I can lay claim to having been around in the '60s it is just by the tiniest margin.

Now you two on the other hand, well I am sure that you remember the Summer of Love and Woodstock intimately. ;)

Now that we have that out of the way, pass the syrup I am hungry.

Unknown said...

Google employs Chinese translators? It reads like instructions for something made in China.

PsychoToddler said...

I was around in the '60s, but I don't remember any of it. Like most other people.

Peace, man.

bec said...

i can only hope that when moshiach comes on tuesday night he brings a space junk shield, because, let me tell you, if i get hit by space junk in MY LAND i will be seriously annoyed.

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Skylab fell in the SEVENTIES people. I was at summer camp and we got up in the middle of the night to make a huge X in the center of camp. Must have been 77 or 78. I cannot believe that Jameel is older than I am. :)

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

YSRM: Of course it fell in the 70's! (I also remember it in camp...we had a competion who could design the best crash helmet).

Old man Jack is so senile he thinks it fell in the 60's.

BEC: I wouldn't worry THAT much. Its not part of the klita process.

PT: I slept through Woodstock.

tzvi: russian, korean, chinese, japanese, goldberg, iceberg, all the same thing.

emah s: pikud ha'oref has been worrying about it to. They have top secret chicken soup remedy for it (so I'm told)

Lirun said...

dont like space junk

Jack Steiner said...

Old man Jack is so senile he thinks it fell in the 60's.

Ok old man, I have to remind you of the old commercial for R.I.F. Or Reading is Fundamental. I never said that Skylab fell in the '60s.

I explained that you and PT are far, far older than I am.

And again I must ask you to pass the syrup.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but in the scheme of things, Israel is pretty small. It's quite hard to imagine Israel could be hit. However, there are an awful lot of Arab lands around you guys that cover a whole lot more territory....hmmm....

Shouldn't the Russians be fined for littering? Where I live there is a slogan along the freeways that says, "Litter and it will hurt." I always picture a sniper hiding out along the freeway waiting to pick off litterers. Whatever works, huh?

tafka PP said...

Just noticed- have you removed the Arabic?

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Tafka PP: The arabic in the title bar was messing up a lot of people's web browsers, so I had to remove it.

anonymous: yeah, Israel's kind of small, and we have such incredible luck, I'm sure it will it us rather than say...Iraq.

Jac: I'll pass the syrup tomorrow...fasting now. dreaming of waffles and a rebuilt Jerusalem.

lirun: join the club.

Lirun said...

what sort of activities does it organise

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails