Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Slightly Unmasked: The Flag on the Muqata.


Inspired by yesterday's discussion on IsraelPerspective's blog, I decided to post a personal picture -- the flag on my house. From the day I built my home till this summer, there has always been a huge Israeli blue and white flag flying proudly off my home. The day the Jews were kicked out of Gush Katif was the day I put this flag up instead. Its still an Israeli flag, yet the colors are black and orange. (Halloween, all year round).

Many people may stare at this picture and think, "That Jameel is too nuts!", "Is he serious?", "What the heck is he trying to prove?"

I'm not sure at what point to take this flag down, and if & when to return the blue and white one. The stupidity of Sharon to use the IDF to forcibly evict the Jews from Gaza, and make the soldiers wear special vests and hats with Israeli flags on them as they dragged people from their homes makes it still too painful for me to put the old flag back up.

On my way to work this morning, I heard a new CD with the hauntingly soulful "theme song" from the Katif disengagement, "Teffila L'oni."

תהילים פרק קב
א תְּפִלָּה, לְעָנִי כִי-יַעֲטֹף -- וְלִפְנֵי ה', יִשְׁפֹּךְ שִׂיחוֹ
.ב ה', שִׁמְעָה תְפִלָּתִי; וְשַׁוְעָתִי, אֵלֶיךָ תָבוֹא
ג אַל-תַּסְתֵּר פָּנֶיךָ, מִמֶּנִּי -- בְּיוֹם צַר-לִי

This was sung by hundreds of girls in the main shul of Neve Dekalim minutes before they were forcibly evacuated. The scene was captured on video, and remains to this day one of the most difficult scenes of this past summer. Not the soldiers dragging people out of their home, not the protestors in the roof in Kfar Darom, not the Netzarim people carrying their shul's menora through the streets of Jerusalem.

Updated: The video can be downloaded here (Hat-tip: my wife - Thanks! :-)
The exact location in the video starts 12:18.


For me, the intense and sincere prayer of these young women, beseeching Hashem for mercy for Eretz Yisrael was more powerful a scene than anything else from this past summer. Hearing my daughter singing this last night even brought a lump to my throat.

Perhaps when more and more supporters of this past summer's expulsion also get a lump in their throats when seeing such a dramatic and sincere expression of love for our land, will I be able to put the blue and white flag back up...or take down the current one.

25 comments:

JoeSettler said...

Hold on. I know that house!

Pragmatician said...

Talk about solidarity with the evacuees.
I admire you’re empathy. I’m afraid most people have forgotten about them by now.

A Simple Jew said...

Keep flying it!

Litvshe said...

Is the Shabak still watching your house? Or was that only in the days of Rabin?

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Pragmatician: We have the key to our friend's house from Gush katif hanging on a nail in our Amma by Amma unpainted "Zecher LeChurban" as well.

A Simple Jew: For how long?

Litvshe: Don't know. We'll see if they visit my blog tomorrow.

FrumGirl said...

I got a shiver as I read your post today. I saw that video as well and I watched the IDF drag people out of Gush Katif on Fox News. I will never forget those sights. the tears, the faith, the destruction... and now I can't forget how Israel is treating those people who refuse to scatter and want to stay together in Ir Haemunah, among other settlements. Keep flying that flag of mourning because the tears are not over yet....

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

FrumGirl: I hear you -- I have daily reminders. Today was bringing a tzedakka check for a family, tomorrow, bringing more winter coats for Netzarim refugees.

Its depressing that the blue/white flag seems slightly sinister.

ifyouwillit... said...

It was somewhat creepy surfing on to your blog and reading those words of tehillim while that song was playing in my room.

I do not agree with "al tizkach, al tislach" but would suggest you keep proudly flying the flag until Sharon's leadership (dictatorship?) is over.

rockofgalilee said...

I had the orange flag with the blue lines and I called it my "bloody israeli flag."

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

If you willit: creepy, as in halloween creepy? Things currently look like Sharon's going to be back in the saddle in March.

Rock: careful...the shabak will go after you for statements like that.

Ezzie said...

Woah. I choked up when I remembered that video. Great post.

Unknown said...

Wow Muqata,
What a wonderful post. I am not there but I know how it feels to be attached to Israel. I felt it when I was there last year. It is sad that the world supports this behavior. They will soon learn these people will bite the hand that fed them. What a tragedy..
I wish I can hear the song..

ifyouwillit... said...

Will you be posting the video? I don't think I saw it, and yes, you're right, it seems like we're stuck with our lieing, cheating PM for another term.

Jerusalemcop said...

I remember seeing that scene on TV, very moving. Where can I get a copy of teh song? very moving....

I too, unfortunately belive that Sharon will still be in power after the elections. Lets hope that there is a nice chunk of seats in the opposition (59 would be nice)

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Ifyouwillit: Its posted!

JerusalemCoppper: I posted the whole video. The footage is from Rino Tsror's program on Channel 10. Probably the most balanced item to appear on Israeli TV this summer.

I'll try to find a link for the CD we just purchased. Its been going non-stop in my van.

Jerusalemcop said...

Jameel: thanks my blog is now up and running

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

JC: If you buy ONE CD this Chanuka season, I highly recommend this one.

Yamim Ketumim (Days of Orange)
You can order it by phone from Makor Rishon @ 03-6277774

NIS 49.90 including delivery.

I'll try to find a US purchase option for our cop friends who live outside of Israel.

PS: If you tell Makor Rishon that Jameel sent you, they will have no clue as to whom are are talking about. No proteczia on this CD.

Stacey said...

I am crying again. I feel such pain whenever I think about what happened. I can barely bring myself to think about it anymore because I feel so helpless. The only rationalization that makes sense is that Hashem is blinding the world, not letting them see what happens over and over when Israel gives up land and strives for peace. Hashem is not letting the world see the evil of the descendants of Yishmoel for a reason. We can never know why. But we can hope that it is becase IY"H moshiach is coming.

The Observer said...

If people don't like your flag, just tell them to take a negative.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Elchonon: I suggest you call before dropping by unexpectedly.

Mrs. Rashid is wary of fanatical right wingers...and she knows how to use my M16 as well.

We also don't approve of stealing PA ID cards...

Shabbat Shalom!

MC Aryeh said...

A very powerful song and video. I would keep flying that flag until things return to how they should be. just return the other one to fly with it when you feel ready. What happened should not be forgotten or washed over.

Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

elchonon...I was once questioned by the Shabak for simply travelling to Hevron. I'm sure they keep an eye out on sites like these and I suggest-for your wellbeing-that when you decide to come to Israel or just visit it that you ALWAYS keep your calm and don't attract too much attention.

We're dealing with what (more than) one person has called the S.B.K.(resonant of the K.G.B.)

On a sidenote: Kahane in my opinion was a great man and great leader but his followers today are racist thugs who've misenterpreted his teachings.

Muqata: i'd like to get your take though i know u do miluim. feel free to e-mail me, though.

Anonymous said...

The real songs of the expulsion are from Dov Shurin.

The Song Files can be downloaded Here!!
http://us.share.geocities.com/z0artzeinu/we_shall_overcome.mp3

http://www.geocities.com/z0artzeinu/no_plucking_us_up.mp3

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Elchonon: You don't approve of people named Jameel with M16's? The Israeli government has supplied tens of thousands of them to PA arabs...and then even won Nobel prizes for doing so...

Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

elchonon...good for u for staying calm and clear of trouble. That's just what those guys(S.B.K.) are looking for.

Shavua tov, Eitan.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails