Sunday, January 15, 2006

Remaining Jewish: Priceless.

I am a Jew in galus, and my soul longs to return to its rightful place.

I live in a place where being a Jew is unpopular, and where wearing a kipah is like wearing a target on your head.

As hard as things can be at times, I know that my ancestors had it far worse. They were looked upon as serfs on the best of days, and as slaves on the worst. Yet they remained faithful to our eternal covenant with Hashem.

I can never truly express my gratitude enough for their sacrifice, but I can honor them with all of my being. They faced persecutions that I cannot even begin to fathom... and for what reason? They remained faithul to G-d so that I might be a Jew.

I could never comprehend the horrible things they endured to keep me Jewish, but they endured it none-the-less. Degradation and humiliation was the price they paid for me.

Sometimes I don't know whether I want to cry in pain for their sacrifice, or to weep in joy because they loved me even though they did not know me.

I could ponder such questions for the rest of my life, or I could thank them in the proper way. I shall choose the latter.

I will honor them by mimicking them. I will be a good Jew despite the consequences, and I will embrace our eternal covenant.

If I am fortunate enough, many years from now, one of my descendants will think about the sacrifice that I made for them. And if I am equally as fortunate, they will remain Jewish and pass on the blessing to the next generation.

Wherever Jameel is, his blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

5 comments:

Chana said...

This is a beautiful post. I wish you strength, and find meaning in your sacrifice.

ifyouwillit... said...

The dispora needs strong Jews like you. Keep being a light unto the nations while you are stuck there, but may you merit a speedy and quick aliya!

MUST Gum Addict said...

Your post reminds us all about the ultimate perspective in life. I thank you.

westbankmama said...

Beautiful post. Another reason why I read blogs.

Ezzie said...

Beautiful.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails