Monday, January 16, 2006

World Peace through Chicken Soup

Hi, I’m Mirty and I’m guest-posting here. I usually post at Mirty’s Place and occasionally at CodeScripter and The Jewish Connection. I do get around, don’t I?

I know I ought to write something about Israel, but alas, all the brain cells in my head have been replaced by snot-producing spores and the only thing coming out of my skull is… snot. So instead, I’m going to write about the universal experience of having a bad cold. Or maybe flu. Or allergy. Hey, I’m not doctor. All I know is – ah choo! – I feel like crap.

When you feel really sick, nothing else matters much. I think if we gathered from all the nations and ethnic groups those poor saps who are currently sneezing, put them in one room and served them chicken soup (my mother’s recipe, preferably), we could bring about world peace. At least for as long as it takes to slurp down a bowl of soup.

I woke up this morning and quickly realized I was in no condition to deal with human beings at work, so I called a few phones and left messages saying I am dangerously contagious and must stay home. Then my husband suggested I go to the doctor.

A problem. I have a doctor I’ve been seeing for 15 years. That’s a long time and a pretty thick medical record. Though I haven’t actually seen much of him. Usually, I talk to his Physician Assistant’s Nurse’s Secretary-in-Training. Sometimes he and I do share in-depth conversations like this:

Me: “I’m worried that I’m gaining too much weight.”
Him: “Well… none of us is getting any younger.”

Recently, my doctor stopped accepting my insurance. So now I have to pay $70 to share of his sage wisdom. This gives one pause. Is it worth 70 bucks to hear: “Drink plenty of fluids and get some rest”? For that money, I could get a massage, or a really, really good haircut, or a new dress, or dinner for two at a nice restaurant.

My husband said he’ll make an appointment for me with his doctor, who is covered by insurance and whose wisdom won’t cost me more than ten bucks. This seems like some kind of betrayal of the man who has written prescriptions for me for fifteen years, but I think I’ll go along with it.

Now, I don’t want to leave The Muqata without sharing some inspiring words:

Shimon HaTzaddik would say: The world stands on three things: Torah, the service of G-d, and deeds of kindness. (Pirkei Avos)

Mirty HaBlogger would say: When you have a cold, do three things: kvetch, sleep, and eat chicken soup.

'Nuff said. I’m going back to bed.



Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

7 comments:

Pragmatician said...

Great post, indeed when I'm having a cold I try to think about nice things like my favorite desert, or finally meeting that one person as weird as I am, but it's to no avail, I can only think about as Mirty HaBlogger would saykvetch, sleep, and eat chicken soup

tafka PP said...

I'll have some too, please. I'm feeling so rubbish, I may well not manage to fulfil my promise to Jameel to post this week :(

Feel better.

MUST Gum Addict said...

Great post Mirty. I have discovered that chicken soup cures all, but nothing is better than a couple of swigs from the NyQuil bottle. Combine the two and you'll never fear that scratchy throat again.

Oh, and Prag -- remember the rule -- desert has one s and dessert as two because you never want to go through a desert more than once, but you always ask for seconds with dessert....

Lab Rab said...

Great post Mirty. Having a cold doesn't seem to dampen your writing skills! I hope you feel better.

Ayelet said...

Kids are so adorable when they're sick (as is my daughter today). I hope you won't take offense, but you're adorable when you're sick, too.

wanderer said...

Reminds me of a local deli that has this sign:

"We cure our own pickles. Our chicken soup cures everything else!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys and gals. I'm feeling a little better. Spent most of the day laying low.... But I have a synagogue board meeting to go to tonight. Note to self: no yelling! (Our board meetings get rambunctious.)

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails