Sunday, March 25, 2007

Re-Settling Chomesh?

For those of you who don't know, the Shomron has been buzzing the past few weeks about the upcoming resettlement march to Chomesh.

Chomesh, one of the 4 Shomron settlements forcibly evacuated and destroyed by the Disengagement is now on the drawing board for resettlement. Obviously, not by the Israeli government, but by grassroot Israelis who want to rebuild Chomesh. The IDF is in Chomesh routinely these days, as the IDF knows it's suicide for Israel at present to abandon Chomesh to the Palestinians.

Taking this cue from the IDF, many are hopeful that tomorrow (Monday) will be the start of a new campaign to rebuild the ruined yishuv.

I spent a few days there before it's destruction 2 summers ago, living in a tent with some of my kids, so I'm very familiar with it (it's not that far from the Muqata either).

In order to prevent people from trying to reach Chomesh "through all available means" (read: going through dangerous Arab villages), it appears the IDF is going to allow an organized march to Chomesh from the nearby Shavei Shomron settlement, to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the marchers.

That means the standoff will not be on the way to Chomesh, but at Chomesh itself.

I certainly hope there won't be a repeat of Amona, where intentional police brutality shattered the bones and skulls of many...and I hope the Chomesh resettlers will continue to use passive disobedience (if challenged) to accomplish the resettlement goals.

The JPost talks about it here, but I'll have the full story on my blog tomorrow.






Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

9 comments:

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

DH is going. So is my oldest daughter. I'm praying it won't be an Amona repeat. I'm pleased that the police have back down to the extent that they are allowing an organized march!
We were in Chomesh two Pesach's ago, on "mitzpeh Arik" - Arik's lookout - where you you easily see the smokestacks of the Gadera power plant. An easy aim with line-of-sight weaponry. Sharon used to bring people there to show them how critical it was to hold that area. May we merit to return!

Anonymous said...

Ye'he, I was there 2 pesach's ago as well! I did the hike up (remember the pit in the middle?)

Hiking there tomorow, I am building a core kvutza of friends that did army service in the area + former magav friend who can protect us ;)

On shabbat in the beit hashalom in chevron I met a kid who was on the roof with me in amona, we are still traumatized...

As rav nachman of breslov said "ha'esh sheli toked ad bias goel!" my fire in me burns untill the redemption.

A few clubings, even a few days in jail cannot stop our fire for eretz yisrael.

If anyone here is going my # is 054 738 1642 but text only cuz i cant hear on the phone.

Also I bought a AMAZING book called "this land is my land" by chaim kramer based on rav nachman's torah on eretz yisrael!

Highly recommended and must read!

http://www.judaicaenterprises.com/Product.asp?dept=&product=bk-mz-tliml

rockofgalilee said...

Are they bringing bricks and mortar or are they planning on using the ruins of their old homes?

Anonymous said...

Rock, for now just tents, we'll see where this leads, i'm bringing my bicycle helmet and toilet paper!

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Elchonon we went up on a/c buses with Beitar International (Danny Danon). DH is a chaver merkaz likud through Manhigut Yehudit. We saw Chomesh, Sa Nur and the area around. It was an amazing Pesach - Northern Shomron, Gush Katif and Chevron in four short days (well, one of those days we were in Beit Shemesh). I daven we'll be able to do it again many times.

I'll give DH your phone number. He'll be the guy signing people up for the Likud (no flames please).

Anonymous said...

hehe jameel gets enough of the likud ribbing from me ;) all is good though we are going for peula - action in settling not signing up for likud..

Anonymous said...

hehe jameel gets enough of the likud ribbing from me ;) all is good though we are going for peula - action in settling not signing up for likud..

Olah Chadasha said...

Yeah, I wish I could go tomorrow. Unfortunately, some-one's gotta pay the bills and get the house ready for Pesach. No matter our disagreements on the Disengagement, I never understood the point of clearing out those 4 settlements of the Shomron. Like you said, no Palestinian has been allowed to settle into Chomesh, so what was the point? In any case, I'll be rooting for anyone and everyone going there tomorrow. I pray there will be no violence or danger. Post pictures, if ya got any!
-OC

Anonymous said...

We in NY are praying for your success, and fill the Shomron and in particular Chomesh with lively Jewish residents. Our admiration for you guys is 10plus.

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails