Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bazooka Joe Contest

Anyone over 30 remembers that in the US, there used to be questions about kosher chewing gum in the 70s and 80s.

The "Paskez" brand gum was rather lame, and what people used to love getting from Israel was kosher "Bazooka Joe" bubble gum (with enclosed comic).

Of course, those days are long gone in the US, as there are many kosher chewing gums (or so I'm told) and in Israel, there's a plethora of options; MUST, Bazooka, Hubba Bubba, Orbit, and many others with kosher certification.

I admit, I never always understood the Hebrew comics as a kid, nor did I understand why Bazooka Joe's friend always had his sweater pulled up over his nose.

Regardless, Elite (Bazooka Joe's) has started a 2 million NIS campaign to pick a "new" friend for Bazooka Joe (and I doubt it will be called Bazooka Joe Settler).

Stay tuned, as Elite is due to launch their quest for a new Bazooka friend in the very near future. (source in Hebrew, here)














Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael טובה הארץ מאד מאד

14 comments:

Jacob Da Jew said...

I remember trying to figure out the hebrew jokes with my buddies.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Jacob: At the end of the day, I dont think they were that funny ;-)

Lurker said...

I'm not why Bazooka Joe needs another friend. However, I can think of a great comics character to promote competitor Hubba Bubba...

Anonymous said...

The MUST gum is actually cheaper in Baltimore than it is here in Israel. Go figure.

AMSHINOVER said...

life is like chewing gum;
a little bit of flavor and the rest is chew chew chew
-Rabbi Mendel Kaplan

Lakewood Falling Down said...

I could never figure out if my Hebrew was that bad, or the writing was so unclear that it was illegible. Turns out it was both...
The shirt pulled up is because BJ has bad breath from chewing poorly flavored gum.
BTW, now that we have Obama as president, maybe Bazooka Joe could go for a more "ethnic" pal.
Also, if any publicity is good publicity, and they really want to increase sales, give him a girlfriend. Think of the free advertising on YWN!

Lurker said...

AMSHINOVER: life is like chewing gum;
a little bit of flavor and the rest is chew chew chew
-Rabbi Mendel Kaplan


That's Rabbi Berel Wein.

The Rebbetzin's Husband said...

How about Shimon Peres? Then his advice in that cartoon could read:

אני לא רואה כלום בעין ימין

אולי תסגור העין השני - זה איך שאני נוהג...

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Lurker: I think Amshi knows if its a quote from R' Wein or not...right Amshi?

Lurker said...

Jameel: Lurker: I think Amshi knows if its a quote from R' Wein or not...right Amshi?

And what am I, chopped liver? Hey, I learned in R. Wein's yeshiva, and I heard him make that statement more times than I could count.

Jameel -- if you're skeptical, take a look at the yearbook, page 12, upper left, 11th quote down.

Nu, whaddaya say now?

mnuez said...

Just last week The Onion explained why Bazooka Joe's buddy wears his sweater so high.

Lion of Zion said...

i remember being a kid and there weren't any gum options here except for that paskez crap. i really looked forward to my grandparents lived in israel for the summer months and i always looked forward to their return because it meant getting box of bazooka (i don't remember any kashrut problems?).

Gee a Moron said...

Having read the explanation on the Onion link given above by mnuez, I realize that here in Israel with our war and terror victims there is much that could be done with the same themes. However, in this day and age I don't think that Elite will be heading in that direction.

AMSHINOVER said...

lurker
i spent years with RBW in fact i have smicha from him
life is like chewing gum;
a little bit of flavor and the rest is chew chew chew,belings to
Rabbi Mendel Kaplan, who was RBW's rebbe (RBW quoted the line b'shem RMK all the time)

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails