Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Kosher Food

Here's something different that passed through my email box.

Remember when Supersol used to run their "American Food Week"?

That was great for those of us suffering from good food withdrawal. Now of course they don't have to do that anymore as Heinz Ketchup is pretty much ubiquitous anywhere in this country.

So now our problem is slightly different. You can easily and constantly find a range of American food products, but every store carrying American products is carrying the same exact stuff. There's hardly anyone bringing in anything new, different or exciting.

Despite all the amazing kosher food products available in the US, they are just bringing the safe stuff they are sure is sure to sell.

Don't get me wrong, I admit I am feeling a bit spoiled, but still... Boring.

Anyway, over at the KosherCookingCarnival.com they are going to be live blogging the Kosher Food Show in New Jersey.

Maybe some enterprising individuals will see this as an opportunity to bring over some different stuff.

I'm hungry.

(And don't forget to vote today).

Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael טובה הארץ מאד מאד

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

supersol?
america week?
heinz?

Ahem . . .

Shimon said...

regarding Israeli food check out the new study underscoring the advantages of bamba http://lahag.blogspot.com/2008/11/blog-post.html

Commenter Abbi said...

I'm sure they might have nifty new kosher food products in the US, but nothing beats our fresh relatively cheap produce. I buy relatively few American products and whatever kosher products are available that we don't have here are probably full of additives and garbage anyway. I really can't think of anything I'm "missing" in my life kosher wise.

Gee a Moron said...

There are still two American foods that I miss:

1) fresh cranberries (which I make into homemade whole cranberry sauce). I used to bring back bags of cranberries in my luggage when I travelled for work in season (Oct-Nov) and freeze them but I haven't done any business travel this year so I'm down to one bag for Thanksgiving. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy whole fresh cranberries in Israel and where?

2) macaroni and cheese - with all the additives and whatever - it's my weakness just like waffles at the Muqata. Yes you can buy the small Wacky Mac packages but they are so expensive that my desire has to overcome my wallet before I will do so.

The way I see it, the pasta here is as good as anyhere else and it's cheaper to buy a large package. Powdered cheddar cheese is sold in bulk in the States also for much less than the small foil packets but I haven't found anyone willing to sell me 5 pounds of powdered cheese with a hechsher. Again, if someone knows where to get it...

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails